Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stash cutting, new project and UFO progress

Yesterday I was going to sew Blogger's BOM #5 - and so I did (that will be the next post). It was a hot day - +31C / 87F - no venture out for me in that scorching sun. It's quite comfortable inside, even if we don't have A/C.
I have some Nancy Halvorsen fabrics and had a bag full of 'Love is' fabrics; most of them are half yards, smaller pieces and the cute panel. I got a brand new Olfa cutting mat a couple of days back, changed the rotary cutter blade - it was a real pleasure to cut! Cut! Cut! Just like a knife in room temperated butter! :)
I put aside some 1.5 inch strips for the BOM and began cutting. I manage to cut all the fabrics into 2.5 inch strips! Not very good at calculating, but by adding white or cream tone-on-tone to those strips, I think it will be a good size quilt.


Before I started cutting, I played a little bit with the fabrics. This is going to be a drawstring bag - at least that is the idea! I got stuck, because I don't have the right color quilting thread. You may remember I never have the right color - lol! :) The yellow/blue/green fabric is backing for the Colorado Star quilt. It's a good quality quilt cover I got from an old lady. I'm quite sure she hasn't used it more than a couple of times, it looks like new.
The colors on this photo are a bit too dark... hopefully a better photo when finished.


Progress on the Colorado Star quilt; one top is layered and pinned, ready to be thread basted before quilting. And YES, I don't have quilting thread for this one either - lol! It's on its way from the US!


The plan was to thread baste the Colorado Star quilt, but.... I got too lazy... As I mention above; I already have backing for one of the CS quilt, but not for the second one and the table topper... Perhaps I'll purchase the needed yards from this fabric line - I shall see... Seems like I'm into blues nowadays! :) I'm working on another new project too - always and forever hopelessly in love with what I'm doing! :)) I'm going to take pics for the next post...    
 

6 comments:

ria vogelzang said...

Love the fabrics for your bag!
You Colorado Star quilt is also a beauty! Have fun!!

PJs Lapperier said...

Smart att "sätta kniven" i tygerna och skära remsor. Det ser ut att bli kanonfint!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

too bad you have to wait for your thread - I hope it comes soon although in the heat you might not feel much like quilting? Our spring will be soon I think, we have flowers blooming early for here - cold weather could still make it but I have a feeling this will be a very short winter this year.
Karem

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Howcome we never have the right colour thread even though we may have a box full of them ha ha!!!

Michelle said...

So many pretty projects! I'll admit your newly cut strips are very tantalizing. :-)

Bev C said...

Hello Astrid,

Doesn't having a new blade make such a difference. Love the star quilt your have done. Good luck with all your projects.
happy days.
Bev.xoxo